About Me

My photo
I consider myself a "renaissance woman." I enjoy music, art, photography, dance, cosmology and physics. A scientist is incomplete without creativity and an artist is informed by analytical thought.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Moving! Laughing!

Mama and Inessa, trying out the backpack

Inessa and Bryna are well into "baby phase." At first, the changes came slowly. Now the babies are doing new physical feats every week and learning every day. They are moving, laughing, interacting, babbling and playing more. I think Bryna and Inessa are both happier (and crying less) now that they can move!
Inessa and Bryna kneeling

Bryna and Inessa

At 9 months, Inessa and Bryna are strong, happy and clever. They crawl, kneel, pull themselves up, eat solid foods, and understand simple games (like sticking out your tongue, or tapping on a musical instrument) and recognize words (like their names and Mama, Papa and the cats' names). I think it won't be long before they say those words.
Bryna and Inessa eating solid foods

They each have a sense of humor shining through. Bryna is generous with her smiles, laughing at grocery cashiers, leaning forward, engaging people. And she's got places to go. When you set her down she will take off-crawling. Bryna has no patience for sitting. Sitting is for babies. When Bryna cries, that doesn't stop her from crawling, we've dubbed this Bryna's "traveling sob." Inessa reserves her smiles for special moments. She prefers to make people work for it. When Zach holds Inessa to sit on top of his shoulders, she has this dead-pan look, smug and impish, looking down at everyone, smirking only when people stop looking. If you smile at her, she will bashfully look away then smile in secret. In the same situation, Bryna will hold her mouth wide open then give you a big guffaw. Bryna likes to rattle her rattles then look at you, jaw dropped, to see if you noticed. Bryna likes to make people laugh. Inessa likes to laugh at people. To watch them laugh at each other is simply delightful! Here is Inessa playing a joke on Bryna, pulling her hat:




Both babies have started making classic baby noises, "mmm," "mah," "gah," "dah." Bryna likes to make laughing staccato noises. Inessa likes to sing.

Mama and Inessa

Dadda and Inessa

Physical and metal developments happen for the first time within days and sometimes minutes of the other twin (smiling, grabbing, sitting, crawling, etc.). So far, even their weight and height track the same.
Bryna in the Moby, she loves to be carried


Nessa in the Bjorn, she loves to be carried too

At 8 months, they both started crawling; Bryna first then Inessa a few days later. The process took a few weeks, from rolling, to getting up on all fours, to rocking back and forth, to pushing off their knees (and face-planting), then to finally picking up their hands and moving forward. When Bryna started to get up on ther hands and knees, she was the cutest little shoe-box! Bryna looks robotic when she crawls, every move rickety at first, now smoother. Bow-armed, like a gecko. Inessa looks more like she is doing the butterfly swimming stroke, throwing her arms forward them pulling herself with her arm strength. She looks very strong and focused.

Bryna and Nessa making a break for it

Nessa 
They love the cats. Sometimes Hubble is the funniest thing they have ever seen. And Hubble just walks by like, "was it something I did?!"
Inessa and Hubble

Bryna and Hubble


At 6 months, they did a month of baby swim lessons. Zach and I each took one into the pool. They were so happy to swim with us. They loved it! And the instructor was impressed that they both could hold onto a kick board (which was about the length of their body) and kick kick kick to their heart's content! That may be the cutest thing I've ever seen. I was so proud. I also enjoyed weekly activities like Mama and Baby Yoga this summer and Zach is enjoying Parent and Baby Read-Along at the Library this Fall.

Zach with Inessa, Katie with Bryna
Vacationing with babies was not what we expected. Our first family vacation was a weekend in a cabin at the Olympic National Park, a tradition for us every October for the last 6 years. We got up the courage to go and packed up the car for babies and parents. Packing and traveling was exhausting, constant attention to schedule and details. The girls seemed to enjoy the cabin. The first night a few of the usual wakings to feed, but the second night was awful. None of us slept much that second night and we ended up packing up the car with bleary eyes in the middle of the night and leaving in the morning. I wouldn't have done anything differently, but without opportunity to cook or have down-time, it just wasn't the way we used to vacation, that's all. Still, I'm glad we took them to our favorite place and let them breathe the rainforest air. I want to integrate them into my favorite parts of life.

Inessa on left, Bryna on right

I find that even if I get a few minutes, I can be super productive. I have changed my expectations for all aspects of my life because each minute counts.
Inessa up high, Bryna in pink

My favorite memories with the people I love were of time spent with them, playing, learning, talking and experiencing. Family and friends loved and respected me enough to teach me about their passions and include me in their lives. I am so pleased that my daughters have a village of people who are doing the same for them. Inessa and Bryna are such happy little babies. I love them. I wish I had infinite energy to give them. Even in the challenging moments when I feel depleted, I have NEVER looked back and wished my life was any other way. It is perfect. Sloppy, exhausting, distracted, silly,
but perfect.


Family portrait taken by Sue Burton, 6 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment