About Me

My photo
I consider myself a "renaissance woman." I enjoy music, art, photography, dance, cosmology and physics. A scientist is incomplete without creativity and an artist is informed by analytical thought.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

One year ago today, we learned we were having twins!


One year ago today, we discovered that one baby was really two. We were stunned. Completely floored. 

Nothing could prepare us for the fierce love yet seriously hard work. People ask if time has flown by. What I think they mean is, won't you feel sad about forgetting some of this baby time? I expected that exhaustion would dull my memory so we have tried to be present and record moments in photo, journal and mind. I love the gift of my girls. However, time doesn't fly by when you are sleep deprived. Even with the crying and constant work, I can see why people love the infant stage, you can protect and control their environment and hold them close. I have good reason to believe that I will love every stage of their lives, babyhood and beyond! 

Having twins is a dream come true. Infinite blessings. I see only one true challenge: I don't feel like I have enough opportunity to bond with each baby individually. Maternity leave is not what I expected. I've been in this vortex, one task following the previous task and so on. For the first few months, leaving the house felt like stepping onto an alien planet. I gratefully acknowledge that it is ever so slowly getting easier, yet still physically exhausting for us parents. Their smiles and doglike affection is a great reward. It is fun to show them the world and dream of their opportunities. 


Having children has made me hope-filled. Some people worry about bringing another life into this negative world. After having children, I am certain that the world is not just fine but actually becoming a better place. I believe my daughters and [your] children will contribute to it instead of deplete it.
We are grateful for everyone who has helped us, cooked for us, prayed for us and encouraged us.

I remember the ultrasound technician saying, "Do twins run in your family?". We said, "No. Wait what?!" And we haven't been the same since. A wonderful journey ensued.

No comments:

Post a Comment