I had been waiting for a terrible thing to go away somehow so
that I could write about positive things, but I can’t wait any longer. You know
how when you are going through a hard time, you avoid listening to your
favorite song because you don’t want the song to remind you of that painful
memory? Maybe not. But I do. And it’s a similar reason that kept me from
sharing this. I don’t know if anyone will read this, so I’m just going to write
for myself.
I can’t put a positive spin on this and let’s face it; life
just gives you rotten lemons sometimes that won’t be made into lemonade. In
April, about the time I would have cheerfully shared another installment of our
life with twins, my family received devastating news. My father, an intelligent
and generous father (see earlier blogs), and community builder, was diagnosed
with Glioblastoma Brain Cancer, a predictable fast deadly form of cancer that
has no cure. We wept. We feared. We
prayed. We planned. We held up hope, as we still do. It has been an extremely
difficult battle. He went from hiking up mountains to practically motionless in
bed. Fortunately, he doesn’t have any pain. My father has been in treatment now
for eight frightening confusing months. My mother has walked every step with
him. I love you, Mom and Papa. I pray for peace and joy for you. And I cling to
hope for a miracle.
All the while, I have two toddlers that are watching my
every move, tear, and action. Bryna was immediately affected by the news. Once
carefree and outgoing, she became quieter and started sucking her thumb just days
after the diagnosis (in her two years of life she had never done this), in the
same way a nervous person fidgets before an exam. It’s her coping mechanism and
out of compassion, we let her do it within appropriate limits while teaching
her about other ways to manage stress. Inessa has been more resilient, and she
has taken on a caregiver role, especially for her sister. My girls bring each
other their favorite stuffed animals when the other is crying. They know when
their sister is hurting and they tell me so. They grab two of anything and
deliver one to their sister. They are observing life and life is hard
sometimes. While we have shielded them from the worst, I can’t pretend that
life is not hard. I can only show them how a real person (me), flawed and
sensitive but genuine, works through grief and tries to remain positive. In
this difficult time, I choose to surround myself with positive people.
Life is complex, not black and white. In the midst of
suffering, there is joy too. My father wouldn’t want me to miss out on my
girls’ childhood due to feeling sad for him. And I can say truly, that everything
else in my life, especially my family and friends, is a real blessing. I have no regrets. How did I get so lucky
to have been entrusted with the raising of my two perfect girls? They talk and
sing and tell stories. They make up games. They are so funny! Inessa makes
(pretend) tea for Bryna and Bryna drinks it and feeds it to her air pony. Tonight,
Bryna answered a little owl (as if it were a phone) and said, “Hi Nana!” then
held the phone up to Nessa’s ear and told Nessa to say hi to Nana. Nessa did! Their
personalities are even more obvious than before.
Their development right now is so accelerated that it makes
me wonder if this time in life correlates to the moments of a person’s earliest
memories. Do you think so? When I corroborate my first memories with my parents’
timeline, we find that my earliest memory (of sliding down a rocky hill to get
to my neighbor’s house in Death Valley National Park) was when I was two. The
same age as my girls are now. I wonder which moment in time will stick with
them forever, detailed in their minds and including their emotions, important
people and space?
I wanted nothing to do with two year olds before this year. My
girls are almost three now. I know now that it’s easy to say that someone else’s
kids are experiencing “terrible twos” because you see many troubled moments (when
toddlers are expected to behave for guests or the public). But as a parent, it’s
different. I see all the learning moments come together and my girls trust me
to see them at their truest selves. It is an honor to witness the extreme brain
development that happens early in life (I recommend the book NurtureShock). I
get to teach them and play with them. I live in the present moment with them,
focused on nothing else. It is the opposite of “terrible!” I thought I would be
bored by the early years of parenting but I am surprised to find that I love
them (that doesn’t mean it’s not hard, but hard does not equal bad, you see).
My work is a blessing too. It is satisfying to be part of a
student’s life in a way that a teacher can during a crucial time (college). For
my sabbatical project, among other things, I completed writing and illustrating
a children’s book that had been a dream of mine. Little Bear’s Big Night Sky is
published! <https://community.plu.edu/~haykm/LittleBear.html>
I wanted to share the story to inspire children to look up at the night sky and
feel the awesome wonder in the cosmos that I felt, and still feel. We are so
small, yet part of something so big. How lucky we are to have the ability to ask
questions and learn! Legendary physicist Carl Sagan said, “We [humans] are all
ways that the cosmos can know itself” for we ourselves are made up of the same
material as old stars.
Christmas is my favorite time of year. For me, it is not
about gifts; it is about so much more. Though, I have discussed Christmas giving
traditions with my girls and we have done something most days in December to
discover different ways to give. For example, cooking for others, sharing,
creating gifts, visiting people, donating change, food, toys and clothing, offering
prayers and being thankful for our many blessings. Yesterday, the girls offered
dove chocolates to the UPS man who delivered a package to our door. Bless his
heart, he took it! Christmas is a time to celebrate, a time to come together to
take tangible actions toward peace. This advent season, we have learned about (thanks
you Agnus Dei Lutheran) this movement to encourage Christmas to change the
world once again (http://www.adventconspiracy.org).
It offers another piece to the story and something to contribute to the way we
celebrate Christmas.
Thank you for following my blog. May you have a meaningful
Christmas and may 2016 bring many wonders and blessings! -Katie

![]() |
| Our new nephew arrived last January |

![]() |
| A cousin sandwich with their other cousin. |





















Katie, I'm so glad to have you, Zach and the girls as some of our best friends. Thank you for sharing your year with us (the good and the bad). I enjoyed reading about your Christmas activities of teaching the girls to give. What a wonderful lesson, I can only imagine how much better the world would be if everyone was so lucky to learn such lessons from loving parents early in life.
ReplyDeleteI love you and your girls! (And Zach too of course.) Your positive nature, and your REAL, sincere approach to life is refreshing. Thank you for not waiting until like is perfect to write this. Thanks for sharing with us. Hugs, friend!
ReplyDelete